Dunn County Fish & Game Association Executive Board Meeting
Monday, November 17, 2014
Members present: Gary Schwoch, Kellen Cassellius, Russ Hitz, Bill Schutts, Melody Gossett, Dave Pechmiller, Les Kuesel, Jim Thompson, Gary Buss, Jim Cleven, and Curt Hagberg
1. Bar Report/Pool League: Garrett Sinz - no report
2. Security System - reviewing the new system. Will propose to general membership
3. Repair of stove in kitchen - Denny's Appliance is working on it, had to find the obsolete parts; exhaust fan is working great after Scott S worked on it.
1. Ideas to generate additional revenue from catering and food services
2. Review of Club Finance Committee - the new committee: Jim Thompson, Russ Hitz and Kellen Cassellius, plus the club treasurer (currently Bill Schutts). Lots of details were discussed. They presented a list of current club contributions plus the fundraisers we have hosted, plus a philanthropy report.
3. Can we cater from kitchen?
4. Bill Schutts presented the profits from the Harmon Chicken Dinners for the 2014 season. Discussion of having Harmons next year vs. another entity.
5. Association membership has dropped since Jim Mense retired as staff writer for the Dunn County News. Is anyone interested in writing a small blurb occasionally to the Dunn County News to shine a light on us? (About our conservation efforts, our Hunter Safety courses, etc.) People forget that we are here.
6. Bill Wilkinson Drywall repaired the ceiling, we received a bill for work done. Motion made by Melody Gossett to pay the bill now, Seconded by Jim Thompson. Motion Passed. Gary Buss will talk to Dudge to find out why we have to pay (wasn't there a warranty?)
7. Discussion regarding Wayne Wilson holding the Scholarship Account. He says he will turn it over in January.
8. Jim Thompson will contact Whitetails Unlimited about having their Banquet here.
9. Next month will have to vote in a second vice president, a third vice president, a treasurer and two Board members.
Dunn County Fish & Game Association General Meeting
Monday, November 17, 2014
1. Call to Order: Kellen Cassellius
2. Pledge of Allegiance: Kellen Cassellius
3. Secretary's Report: Melody Gossett - Rod Finder Moved to Accept the Secretary's Report, Mike Benzel Seconded - hard copies were sent out with this month's Minutes. Remove Tom Koranski's name from the snail mail list, add Al Finder's.
4. Treasurer's Report: Bill Schutts - Not much in the Bar account, some of the bills are automatically withdrawn from account. It is in our Bylaws to have the books audited every two years, Steve Young just finished it. He straightened out the QuickBooks system, categorized our accounts, renumbered and reorganized them - our books are CLEAN.
5. Correspondence: Kellen Cassellius - Thank you from Dave Maves for hosting the clothing drive. Thank you from Austin and Terry Stokes for Hunter's Safety class.
6. Executive Committee Report: Kellen Cassellius - looking for ways to generate ideas for fundraising for the Club. Could exchange with other clubs - example: in lieu of cash, we could offer free use of the building for their event. Kellen Cassellius discussed how the committee cut about $8,000 off of the budget that goes out the door each year. Scott Sinz is interested in joining the Finance Committee. Next meeting is Thursday, December 4 at 5:30pm. Operation Tip Up: there is a signup sheet going around - don't sign up if you aren't sure you can be available. The Veteran’s Organizations are doing all of the groundwork, we just need to provide the facility and the workers. The next meeting will be after the December Fish & Game monthly meeting.
7. Security System: Discussion: with what we have paid out in the last few months for security breaches we could have paid for the installation of the new system free and clear. Once the installation fee is paid, the monthly bill will be about the same as what we are paying now. After 3 years the fee will drop dramatically, and we will still have a much better system. Scott Sinz made a Motion to purchase the new system when we have the funds, Seconded by Gary Buss. Motion Passed.
7. DNR Report: Jim Cleven/Jess Carstens/Chad Mogen - if you see anything that should be reported this deer hunting, season, call the DNR hotline, the hotline will find a warden. 800.DNR.TIPS
Or call Jim Cleven direct; 715-210-0140 work; 715-962-3558 home. In Dunn County things are different next year, you have to know what section you are in and if your license is for it, public land vs. private land. Baiting: no baiting in Barron County and several other northern counties, in Dunn County you can bait 2 gallons per 40 acres. Know and follow the legal hunting hours.
8. Dunn County Alliance Report: Dan Prestebak/Scott Sinz - at the last meeting they discussed that any funds coming in (still waiting for some) will come back to the Fish & Game (except what they need for paying land taxes). The Alliance is organizing a Tainter Lake fishing contest. There is no longer a Tainter Lake Sportsmen's club. They made their money almost strictly from ticket sales. The date set for this ice fishing contest is January 31.
9. Wisconsin Conservation Congress Report: Jim Thompson/Russ Hitz/Al Marotz - Jim said check the DNR website - December 15 is the next C-DAC
Standing/Special Committee Reports
a) Bar Management/Pool League: Garrett Sinz - no report
b) Top Gun Banquet: next meeting - Banquet is January 30.
c) Buildings and Grounds: Kellen Cassellius - PA system repaired.
d) Fall Banquet: Dave Moore - no report
e) Rifle Range: Duke Holmberg/Dave Kraft - 82 people used the Range on Sunday. Was very busy but we had enough people to be Range Supervisors.
f) Fish Cribs: Dave Pechmiller - no report
g) Youth: Jim Cleven, Chad Mogen - no report
h) Harmon Chicken Dinners: Bob DeLong/Dave Moore - Served 229 people. The October dinner "was a nightmare." Neither Bob, Dave nor Mike will be in charge of the Harmon Dinners from now on. Someone else needs to step up if we are to continue having them. Gary Buss said that his neighbor goes to the Durand Rod and Gun for the Harmon Dinners and they stand in line for a long time, they have the Stout basketball players do the serving. People don't seem to know that we are here, doing the same thing and they wouldn't have to drive as far; we need communication. Discussion: can we afford to have the dinners next year? The Harmon's price went up, ours didn't. (our profit in October was $1.29/plate, not including janitor, lights, heat, etc.) Price needs to be raised to $11 or $12 per plate. That price is still competitive, and it is all-you-care-to-eat. Len Frank mentioned that the Board should discuss it next month and bring it back to the membership.
i) Hunters Against Hunger: Ron Fry - no report
j) Hunter Education: Duke Holmberg - no date set
k) Ice Fishing Contest: Scott Sinz/Les Kuesel - tickets are in, see Curt Hagberg. Scott Sinz needs a few people to help at his office to make a few phone calls to businesses.
l) Kitchen: Bonnie Hagberg - there is a question about the after-meeting lunch costs. Scott Sinz made a Motion to raise the cost of the drawing for meat raffles to $3 from $2. Len Frank Seconded. Motion Passed. Next month for Christmas Bonnie will serve oyster stew.
m) Legislative/Excel Energy: Mike Benzel - no report
n) Membership: Kellen Cassellius - Curt Hagberg had a question about Lifetime Membership - do they need to fill out an enrollment application every year? Answer: No, unless something changes, like address, phone number, or their interests of involvement. All club membership dues are due by the end of the December meeting.
o) Pheasant rearing: Committee - no report
p) Policy Review Board: Josh Risler - no report
q) Scholarship: Gary Schwoch - Wayne Wilson will turn over control of the account in January to the new Board.
r) Women on Target: April Cowan/Duke Holmberg - no report
s) Social Club: Scott Sinz/Duke Holmberg - next event is Monday, December 8th. Bring a dish to pass. Would anyone be interested in playing bean bags upstairs? Let Scott Sinz know and he can set them up.
Board elections in December.
Buck Pool? Dave Leach has the sign-up sheet.
Operation Tip Up: Bill Schutts - we will make it a whole weekend (January 9, 10, 11) - on Friday night the pros want to have seminars (didn't work very well to have it all on Saturday this year). Last year we had 101 vets registered (many more did not sign in). This coming year we plan to host 300 military veterans. Les Kuesel and Gary Buss will do the main raffle this time. Joe LaBuda's boys are very interested in helping out again. Please sign up if you are interested in working this fun event.
December 3 - Pistol Club meeting
December 4 - Finance Committee meeting 5:30pm
December 8th 5:30 Social Club
December 15 - Fish & Game monthly meeting 7pm Elections
January 9 & 10, 2015 - Operation Tip Up
January 30, 2015 - Top Gun Banquet
January 31, 2015 - Tainter Lake Ice Fishing Contest (Dunn County Alliance)
February 14, 2015 - 62nd Annual DCF&G Ice Fishing Contest
March 7, 2015 - NAIFC Ice Fishing Contest
1. Al Finder - meat tray
2. Gary Schwoch - meat tray
3. Bob DeLong - meat tray
4. Mike Benzel - meat tray
5. Bill Schutts - meat tray
6. Scott Sinz - NRA membership
Motion to close meeting made by Al Finder, Seconded by Curt Hagberg. Meeting Closed.